Friday, July 20, 2012

Homemade Disclaimer

Lately I’ve been into doing things homemade.  It started with laundry detergent and cleaners, and then I kept delving into beauty products and all manner of things and a whole new world opened up to me.

But here’s the thing: as with most worlds, this one has an under belly.

The more I search for recipes for new homemade products, the more irritated I get with the blogs and websites I find these recipes on.  I’ve been irritated with this kind of thing for a while (which you know if you read this post), but I still just haven’t gotten used to it yet.  I’m not complaining about the recipes and ideas I find for homemade products.  Those are great.  I’m just complaining about how proud of themselves these people are.  Just like using the word organic before each thing in a list of ingredients on a recipe is not necessary, neither is accompanying each homemade post with unsubstantiated, alarmist medical claims like, “Parabens cause cancer!”  Listen my naturalist friends, reading it on mothering.com doesn’t make it true.  (For the record, the American Cancer Association’s position is that there is not sufficient scientific evidence for a link between parabens and cancer.)

What is boils down to is that these people use the words “crunchy” and “hippy” like they are thrones to sit on so that the rest of us can bow at their feet.  And I just want to put it out there that this is not me.  I’m way into making all the homemade stuff because I think it is so fun and it is saving us a ton of money.  In some cases it may be healthier, but that is only something I’ll ever claim if there is real science behind it.  I’m a truth seeker like that.

And I want to post about it because, for one, I want to post about the things I like and the fun things I do and the things I’m thinking about.  Kinda why I have a blog.  For another, friends and family who know I’m into this kind of thing have asked lots of questions, and here I can just share everything.  And I’m gonna be doing that.  But I’m not overly concerned about saving the world one Fels Naptha bar at a time. 

I just need you to know, right up front, that I am not a bergamot scented supremacist. 

That is all.

hippy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me have it

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...