Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homemade Eczema/Bug Bite/Anti-Itch Cream

If you're here from Pinterest, welcome!  Check out my "Home Made" label (labels found to the left) for other fun stuff you might be interested in!

Please read my homemade disclaimer.

I’m in the throws of some pretty nasty eczema, and so whipped this stuff up a few days ago.  To be fair, it doesn’t do a whole lot for eczema other than sooth.  To cure eczema you need to know what is causing it, and for each individual that could be 1,001 different things.  You can sooth one spot and make it go away, but five others flare up in its place.  If you deal with eczema, you know what I mean.  Either way, this stuff is great for soothing burning itchiness that often accompanies crazy flare ups, while you’re dealing whatever issue is causing it.

Now for bug bites…  a couple of days ago I complained on twitter and facebook that Thing 2 and I are like catnip for mosquitoes (bugnip?) and that there is nothing that truly prevents it (several people responded that they experience the same trauma, which is why I decided to post about this).  Even the stuff that works the best (a homemade bug repellent spray—perhaps a different post for a different day) still allows some bites for he and I.  But this anti-itch cream?  It knocks those bites out of the park.  After I made it a few days ago, I treated Thing 2’s legs with it before bed.  He was so covered in bites (it was several days worth. what am I gonna do?  not let him play outside?) that I mostly just smeared it on like lotion and rubbed it in.  In the morning there were only remnants left of the bites—mostly from the bites he’d been scratching at for days.  I’ve continued to treat those spots with the cream, because of its healing properties as well.  Such awesome relief for the little man. 

And it is pretty darn simple:

ANTI-ITCH CREAM*
1/4 C Coconut Oil
10ish drops lavender essential oil**
10ish drops tea tree essential oil**

Just stir it all up.  Done.

Lavender is great for soothing the itch and tea tree fights the infection.  Coconut Oil is a great carrier for this because it has anti-inflammatory properties and especially because it is paste-y at room temperature, and hardens when kept cool.  I keep it in the fridge, because it starts to melt at 76 degrees and we keep the house at 78 in the summer.  Even kept in the fridge (where it gets pretty hard) it is fairly easy to rub some on your finger and apply to the bite.  You can also heat it in the microwave (on low, or “melt” setting) for about 20 to 30 seconds if you want it to be more paste-y when you apply it.  Yet another idea would be to add a little bit (decreasing the amount of coconut oil by the same amount) of another oil to the mix (olive, grape seed, etc.) to keep it looser.  You could store it in the fridge then without it getting so hard.  I thought of that after I made it, or mine would’ve been that way.

If you have trouble with rashes/eczema, you'll also be interested in my Homemade Bath Oil post.

*I would credit this to the site I found it at, but I’ve seen this idea all over the place.  So mostly just the internet is my source.

**You’ll want to make sure that you use therapeutic grade essential oils for this.  I get mine HERE.  They have quality oils at a great price.  And they aren’t even paying me to say that.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I will have to try this! I've heard coconut oil is a good butter replacement too except when you need a lot in recipes like those with cookies and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, because of its consistency. I don't cook with coconut oil though. For one, I don't really care for the flavor of coconut. For another, it is way expensive. I'd rather save it for other uses.

      Delete
    2. That's good to know. We don't have any at the moment, but have been using Earth Balance. It might be cheaper than coconut oil.

      Delete
    3. We used Earth Balance when we were dairy free. It was good stuff. Smart Balance also does a good vegan butter. Both are cheaper than coconut oil, by far.

      Delete

Let me have it

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...